Why is this course important?
The S189 of the LRA permits employers to dismiss employees for operational requirements based on economic needs (eg, financial management), technological needs (eg, introduction of new technology), structural needs (eg, the reduction of posts due to restructuring) or similar needs of the employer.
An employer who employs 50 or less employees is subject to the process (set out in section 189 of the LRA) that sets out what their procedural and substantive obligations are to maintain a fair retrenchment process.
This course will give an in-depth understanding of the process and how to respond to it.
Who is this course aimed at?
Line Managers, Human Resource Professionals, Unions, Employees.
Are there any prerequisites for attending this course?
Course content and outcomes:
At the conclusion of this course the delegate should be able to:
- Implement a Section 189 process according to the Labour Relations Act (LRA),
- Understand what is required in a Section 189 letter,
- Understand the rules that apply to companies employing less than 50 employees and those employing more than 50 employees,
- Understand how a severance package is calculated,
- Know what constitutes unfair retrenchment,
- Understand what the recourse is for an employee that is unfairly dismissed.
Other training courses:
21st Century offers courses in all areas of Remuneration and HR.